Friday, June 5, 2009

First attempt

-Eclipse successfully installed.
-I wound up using a guide from http://ai.vancouver.wsu.edu/~jige/downloads/CCSC-NW-2007.pdf to import the JIG engine, which I don't believe was intended to be used in this way. After reading these slides though, I think I have a better understanding of how Eclipse handles external libraries.
-I used http://ai.vancouver.wsu.edu/jig/wiki/index.php/SpaceFrenzy to work on the SpaceFrenzy tutorial, I'm not sure if that was the place I was supposed to find it or not.
-I have imported the library through Eclipse (something the pdf didn't mention) it was just something I remembered from CS355.
-I like the introduction, the description of how each object is a part of the overall project. It makes a good warmup to get people thinking about what it is they're about to do. This is a process that should be engrained into every programmer's head.
-After copy-pasting the first few snippets of sample code, I'm being overrun by errors. While reading along in the tutorial, it sounds as if this shouldn't be the case and I should be able to test the program as I go to see progress
-Figured out that I imported the jig.zip file instead of the actual JAR inside. I unzipped JIG, then I imported the jig.jar, that fixed some errors and paved the way to fix the others. There was no mention in the Wiki about having to import libraries either, that might help clarify some things.
-After importing JIG properly AND importing the necessary libraries...I still had numerous errors that didn't even make sense. I found that saving each class made them go away.
-After these setbacks, I attempted to run the SpaceFrenzyStep0 and resulted in an exception error each time I attempted to call the constructor.
-Soren has looked over my code and he has been unable to replicate the problem.




Possible Typos:
Step 1
-User interface elements (things that indicate the state of the game, like the number of lives remaining or the score this far).
-The background in Asteroids is a simple black surface, but its easy to imagine something a bit more interesting like an image that has pin points of light to represent distance stars.
Step 3
-We can do this simply by making adding a Ship instance as a member of the SpaceFrenzy game and overriding the render method so that the Ship's own render method is called...
-The code below does just that; it works, but it's not the approach will want to use in the end...

No comments:

Post a Comment